|Original Published Date: April 15, 2014|
|Updated: June 9, 2014|
The Detroit Tigers are in their window and are the favorites to once again win the AL Central Division crown. However, after the promotion of Nick Castellanos, the Tigers didn’t have any impact players in the upper minors until Eugenio Suarez turned it on in Double-A and was fast tracked to the majors. In the early going, he’s looked great and has nice fantasy upside and the defensive chops to stay at the position
1. Next in Line Infield Prospects
- Eugenio Suarez (SS, Triple-A) – Fantasy relevance: High – PROMOTED: 6/4/14
- Hernan Perez (SS/2B, Triple-A) – Fantasy relevance: Low
- James McCann (C, Triple-A) – Fantasy relevance: Low
Notes: Eugenio Suarez might be the shortstop that the Tigers were looking for when Jose Iglesias went down in Spring Training for the year. He’s an above-average defender with an approach at the plate with speed and surprising pop. Hernan Perez almost made the opening day roster for the Tigers and will likely be the first player called up if an injury occurs. However, he’ll have little to no fantasy impact. James McCann is known more for his defense but does make good contact. In a two-catcher deep league, he could be serviceable.
2. Next in Line Outfield Prospects
- J.D. Martinez (OF, Triple-A) – Fantasy relevance: Low
- Ezquiel Carrera (OF, Triple-A) – Fantasy relevance: Low
- Daniel Fields (OF, Triple-A) – Fantasy relevance: Low
Notes: There is very little impact talent in the outfield in either Double or Triple-A. Ezquiel Carrera does have above average speed but struggles to make hard contact.
3. Next in Line Pitching Prospects
- Nate Robinson (RHP, Triple-A) – Fantasy relevance: Low
- Robbie Ray (LHP, Triple-A) – Fantasy relevance: Medium
Notes: Nate Robinson is still kicking around and can provide the Tigers some innings. Also, the Tigers acquired Robbie Ray in exchange for Doug Fister and got the call on May 6th and pitched very well. After that, it wasn’t very good and Ray finds himself back in the minors.
4. Next in Line Relief Prospects
- Justin Miller (RHP, Triple-A) – Fantasy relevance: Low
- Casey Crosby (LHP, Triple-A) – Fantasy relevance: Low