|Original Published Date: April 11, 2014|
|Updated: June 9, 2014|
The Diamondbacks have gotten off to a terrible start and it appears that the injuries they have suffered to their pitching staff will be too much for them to overcome in 2014. When you combine a down season with several questionable front office moves, well, you get a new boss. Enter Tony LaRussa. The big question is how long will Kevin Towers and/or Kirk Gibson remain employed by the Diamondbacks.
To further add insult to injury, Archie Bradley, one of the best pitching prospects in the minors is on the DL with a forearm strain. With the rash of elbow injuries occurring throughout all levels of baseball, the Diamondbacks will show extreme caution with him and therefore, he might only see limit time in the big leagues this year; if at all. After Bradley, there just isn’t much in the upper minors to help what is clearly a difficult situation in Arizona.
1. Next in Line Infield Prospects
- Didi Gregorius (SS, Triple-A) – Fantasy relevance: Low – PROMOTED: 6/4/14
- Nick Ahmed (MI, Triple-A) – Fantasy relevance: Low
Notes: Gregorius does have defensive value but from a fantasy standpoint is only ownable in an NL-Only format. Nick Ahmed has speed and could provide stolen base upside as a September call-up.
2. Next in Line Outfield Prospects
- Alfredo Marte (OF, Triple-A) – Fantasy relevance: Low
3. Next in Line Pitching Prospects
- Alex Sanabia (RHP, Triple-A) – Fantasy relevance: Low
- Archie Bradley (RHP, Triple-A) – Fantasy relevance: Medium
Notes: Bradley is only 21-years-old but has the arsenal of an Ace. The command and control still needs work but from a fantasy standpoint, he could provide strikeouts and the possibility of wins in nearly every outing. However, with his recent injury, the Diamondbacks will exhibit extreme caution with him. In other words, don’t expect much from him in 2014.
4. Next in Line Relief Prospects
- Charles Brewer (RHP, Triple-A) – Fantasy relevance: Low
Why not Jake Lamb?
He’ll likely be there next month. Having a very nice year.