|Original Published Date: April 12, 2014|
|Updated: June 9, 2014|
The White Sox minor league system has improved over the past two years, but the years of poor drafts and ignoring of the Latin markets have taken their toll, particularly on the upper minors. Their top prospect in Triple-A is Matt Davidson, acquired in a trade with the Diamondbacks for Addison Reed. After that, things get very thin.
1. Next in Line Infield Prospects
- Matt Davidson (3B, Triple-A) – Fantasy relevance: Medium
- Josh Phegley (C, Triple-A) – Fantasy relevance: Low
Notes: Matt Davidson got beaten out by Marcus Semien in the Spring but still has 20+ home run potential. He’ll either need an injury to occur or a stumble by Marcus Semien; both of which are possible.
2. Next in Line Outfield Prospects
- Jordan Danks (OF, Triple-A) – Fantasy relevance: Low
- Gorkys Hernandez (OF, Triple-A) – Fantasy relevance: Low
- Jared Mitchell (OF, Triple-A) – Fantasy relevance: Low
Notes: With the season ending injury to Avisail Garcia, the White Sox traded for former Pittsburgh farm hand Gorkys Hernandez. Known more for his outfield play, Hernandez does have plus speed and could steal double-digit stolen bases with extended play. Jared Mitchell has been a toolsy prospect for a long-time but his inability to make consistent contact has always held him back. There’s a chance he’s a late bloomer but I would bet the farm.
3. Next in Line Pitching Prospects
- Andre Rienzo (RHP, Triple-A) – Fantasy relevance: Low – PROMOTED: 4/20/14
Notes: Andre Rienzo got the call in April but doesn’t profile as much more than a back-of-the-rotation starter as his 5.00+ ERA demonstrates.
4. Next in Line Relief Prospects
- Mitchell Boggs (RHP, Triple-A) – Fantasy relevance: Low