Writing up the Phillies organization is usually a struggle, and this year was no exception. There are talented players, but most of them have flaws that make it difficult to put a realistic ceiling on them. Here’s a sampling of what I’m referring to:
- Andrew Painter looked like he was going North with the team in the Spring but blew out his elbow and is now recovering from TJS.
- Mick Abel has a great arm but struggles to throw strikes.
- Justin Crawford is a premium athlete but needs to get stronger to become a full-time regular.
- Simon Muzziotti can hit and run with no power.
- Griff McGarry got the Yipes and couldn’t throw strikes.
I could go on and on and encourage you to read the capsules.
The exception to the pattern might be their first-round pick last July – Aidan Miller. He looks like he can hit with plus power. There’s little speed, but that’s okay, as we know who the player might become.
- Top Prospect: Andrew Painter
- Biggest Mover: Justin Crawford
- Biggest Disappointment: Griff McGarry
- Emerging Prospect: Starlyn Caba